/* trackback code -- i added this */

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Follow The Leader?

Cindy Sheehan, who the Washington Post describes as "the California woman who has used her son's death in Iraq to spur the anti-war movement," was arrested in Washington yesterday during an anti-war rally.

Mother Sheehan has become a darling of the Left, because she is a mother who lost a son in Iraq and is opposed to the war, and so is apparently an unimpeachable anti-war voice. No matter that others who have suffered a similar loss (including her husband) disagree with her vociferously --her grief puts her on an untouchable pedestal. Even this esteemed blog has indirectly given credence to this view of Ms. Sheehan in various of its references to her.

One wonders, however, if that support extends to the following:

  • Appearing in a program supporting Lynne Stewart, the lawyer convicted of aiding and abetting a terrorist group, and proclaiming her "my human Atticus Finch. He did what he knew was right, but wasn't popular. And that's what Lynne is doing."
  • Asserting in the same program that "The biggest terrorist in the world is George W. Bush."
  • Voicing the opinion that "I was raised in a country by a public school system that taught us that America was good, that America was just. America has been killing people ... since we first stepped on this continent, we have been responsible for death and destruction. I passed on that bullsh** to my son and my son enlisted. I'm going all over the country telling moms: 'This country is not worth dying for.'"
  • Sharing the enlightenment that "We have no constitution. We're the only country with no checks and balances. We want our country back if we have to impeach George Bush down to the person who picks up the dog sh** in Washington. Let George Bush send his two little party animals to die in Iraq."
  • In a letter to the news program Nightline, stating: “Am I emotional? Yes, my first born was murdered. Am I angry? Yes, he was killed for lies and for a PNAC Neo-Con agenda to benefit Israel. My son joined the Army to protect America, not Israel.”
  • (This last, incidentally, allowed Sheehan to pick up an endorsement from Klansman David Duke.)

Color me unimpressed by the Left's choice in leaders. If you want to be taken seriously, let serious people be your representatives.

Postscript: In my inaugural post, let me thank Jonah for the privilege of being invited to make posts this week. Though I disagree with much of what is posted here (I'm especially looking at you, CHB), I find this blog to be both insightful and well-written, and am honored to be among its contributors.

2 Comments:

Anonymous lerxst said...

I may disagree with Cindy Sheehan's views on lots of stuff...but she has the ability more than anyone else to demand an answer to the simple question that cannot be satisfactorily be answered, which is...why did the US invade Iraq.

Its one thing for Howard Dean to complain about the shifting rationales for the war that have been in some cases exposed as lies but is quite another for a grieving Mom to raise these same questions.

For better or worse the media and the public take Cindy Sheehan's quest for an answer more seriously than any politician. I for one don't feel any need to distance myself from Cindy Sheehan despite her opinions (this is America) and its unfortunate that proponents of the war feel a need to attack her for unrelated opinions rather than insist on a satisfactory answer to her question.

9/27/2005 5:44 PM  
Blogger Jonah B. Gelbach said...

amen, lerxst.

let me also ask peter a question: does an endorsement from david duke invalidate all of a person's or group's opinions?

if so, would you mind posting a copy of your letter repudiating any and all success by the Louisana Republican Party?

thanks,

j

9/27/2005 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home