/* trackback code -- i added this */

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Smear Machine ... On Background!!

Apparently the RNC doesn't even have the guts to smear Senate Democrats on the record. Here is a press release a friend sent me from; he received it from RNC Press Secretary Tracey Schmitt, who sent it out a few minutes ago "for background use":

Update: I have a call in to the RNC press office asking why they released this only on background. Over-under on when they reply?

Update 2: I was wrong to doubt the RNC's turnaround time. I just spoke with Katie Harbath in the RNC press office, who was very prompt and professional in calling me back. She asked whether I was with a media outlet, and I explained I was with a blog. I gave her CCM's name when she asked for it. Initially she told me that the release below was "for background use" because it was a short piece, not a detailed one. When I asked why a short piece would have to be for background use, she said she didn't know, and she didn't know whether the RNC would clarify this later. Then she asked for the email address from which I received the release. I told her I wasn't going to tell her that (gotta protect my man, who was just doing right by the reading public, and who to my knowledge didn't request this release to be sent to his email address). She asked for my email address, and I told her she could find it on the blog. I thought Katie was very reasonable, even if her employer is not.

Update 3: I realize it's not so easy to find the email address. So, Katie-and-co, here it is: cardcarryingmemberblog@gmail.com

FOR BACKGROUND USE- THANKS
SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER’S (D-NY) HYPOCRISY ON JOE WILSON

In 1982, Then-Rep. Charles Schumer (D-NY) Voted Against Law Making It Crime To Disclose Covert Agents’ Names:

Schumer Voted Against “Adoption Of The Conference Report On The Bill To Make It A Felony To Publicly Expose The Identities Of U.S. Covert Intelligence Officers, Agents, Informants And Sources.” (H.R. 4, CQ Vote #125: Adopted: 315-32: R 159-0; D 156-32; 6/3/82, Schumer Voted Nay)

In 1989, Then-Rep. Schumer Was Critical Of Federal Policy To Prosecute Federal Employees Who Leak Certain Kinds Of Information:

“A New Federal Policy To Prosecute Federal Employees Who Leak Certain Kinds Of Information To The Press Not Only Could Inhibit Whistle-Blowing About Government Abuse, But Also Could Pose A Direct Threat To Reporters’ Use Of Confidential Sources, Legislators And Free-Speech Attorneys Said Thursday.” (Thomas B. Rosenstiel, “Rule May Curb Press’s Use Of Secret Sources,” Los Angles Times, 8/4/89)

· “The New Policy, Announced By The Justice Department On Wednesday, Reverses Department Guidelines Dating Back 11 Years That Were Designed To Protect Government Whistle-Blowers In The Wake Of The Watergate Scandal And Revelations Of CIA Misconduct.” (Thomas B. Rosenstiel, “Rule May Curb Press’s Use Of Secret Sources,” Los Angles Times, 8/4/89)

“‘I Am Worried That This Policy Is So Broad It Could Easily Be Abused,’ Said [Then-] Rep. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). ‘Whistle-Blowers Could Be Prosecuted On Political Whim.’” (Thomas B. Rosenstiel, “Rule May Curb Press’s Use Of Secret Sources,” Los Angles Times, 8/4/89)

In 2003, Editorial Called Sen. Schumer Into Account For Statements In Wilson Affair:

“But The Democrats Want More. Much Of The Rhetoric Is Coming From Sen. Chuck Schumer, Who Has Sought To Decriminalize The Leaking Of Classified Data For Over A Decade. This Makes Him Come Off As Petty, And A Little Hypocritical.” (Editorial, “Politics Much Ado,” Florida Times-Union, 10/2/03)

Tracey Schmitt
Press Secretary
Republican National Committee
202-863-8614

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home